- Category: Crossmichael
- Published on Monday, 25 February 2013 09:03
- Written by Maggi Kaye
- Hits: 8156
Crossmichael lies about 4 miles north-west of Castle Douglas on the A713, on the east side of the river Dee. Although not officially part of the Glenkens, it lies within the Ken-Dee valley. It once has a cross around which a Michaelmas Fair was held in the past (hence the name).
There is an old church, part of which dates back to at least the early 17th century, a post office and shop, a pub, a primary school, a hall, a marina and boat yard, and a complimentary therapy centre.
Crossmichael is about four miles north of Castle Douglas on the A713. The Church of St. Michael in this small village was once connected with the Gordons of Kenmure, a family linked to the legendary 'Young Lochinvar'. The village is one of a number of peaceful bases for touring the Galloway Forest Park and the other attractions of this unspoilt part of Kirkcudbrightshire. Visitors can sail from the marina on Loch Ken, have fun at the Galloway Activity Centre http://www.lochken.co.uk/, fish locally, tour the hills and forests of the Galloway Forest Park and yet be in easy reach of the towns of Ayr and Dumfries.
A little to the north of Crossmichael is the
A Turbulent Past...
In 1164, the Priory of Lincluden was endowed with Crossmichael Parish by Uchtred son of Fergus of Galloway. Princess Devorguilla - The 'Queen of the South' - later transferred Crossmichael in 1275 to her new foundation of Sweetheart Abbey, an act confirmed by a Bishop Simon of Galloway in 1331. This remained until in 1587 the Abbey was annexed by the Crown, and the Barony of Crossmichael granted by a charter of King James VI of Scotland in 1611 to Sir Robert Gordon of Kenmure. The church bell was made in 1611 and the unusual round tower may have been added in the same year to the old church, which was rebuilt in 1731. The Church was enlarged between 1783 and 1790, but remained as it was until the 1963 addition of a vestry and the 1971 construction of a porch and stair housing.
The churchyard has a number of interesting tombstones. The earliest is from 1547, to Randolph Ross. The 1843 Moderator of the Church of Scotland, Rev. David Walsh, is buried near the Church, also Rev. Andrew Dick - who died at the start of his sermon - and Rev. John Murdoch who died in 1701.
Covenanting times left their mark; the simple tombstone to William Graham, shot by Claverhouse's Dragoons in 1682, is possibly of most interest to visitors. The saddest memorial is possibly that of four brothers of the Mclellan family, killed in the 1914-1918 war; the memorial tablets are near the pulpit.
Loch Ken Marina provides the following services for fishermen or sightseers:-
Rowing boat hire £30.00 per day
Motor boat hire £60.00 per day
Moorings £210.00 per season
Hardstandings £105.00 per season
Slipping fee £10.00
# (hourly half-day and weekly rates also available)
* subject to availability
All rates subject to confirmation.
http://www.crossmichael.info Crossmichael Complementary Therapy Centre